Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can a Circuit Court Judge force a parent to sign form DS-11 for non medical reasons?

by Raymond
(Warren, Mi 48092)

Question: My son has joint legal custody and the mother has physical custody of our two-year-old grandson. The mother filed through her attorney to have my son sign DS-3035 under his protest. Is it possible that a Judge Name Withheld in Michigan has the authority to force him to sign away his right to keep his son in the USA?

Answer: It is my understanding that a parent who has shared custody of a minor child may request a court order which obliges the other parent to sign the passport consent form. It is also my understanding that a judge may "require" the parent sign the consent form if s/he believes that the trip is in the best interest of the child and that there is no risk of international child abduction.

This should not be taken as legal advice. You should encourage your son to seek legal counsel if he believes that a passport should not be issued to the child.

Comments for Can a Circuit Court Judge force a parent to sign form DS-11 for non medical reasons?

Click here to add your own comments

Being forced to sign for a Passport by a judge
by: Anonymous

Question: If my understanding of the law is correct, the Judge can order your son to sign for the passport but I could find nothing that requires him to approve the ex wife to take the child out of the country.

Answer: We recommend that you speak to a lawyer regarding this issue.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!