This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

American citizen father with daughter born in Winnipeg, Canada. - how to get passport for her?

Question: My daughter was born in Winnipeg, Canada (mother and daughter coming back to the United States on Canadian passports).

The State Dept website states that I can apply for a U.S. Passport for my child in lieu of a Consular Report Abroad for a more convenient alternative.

I cannot get a hold of anyone to validate this statement and if valid, what documents should I present at the passport office?

Answer: For a complete list of documents needed in order to get a passport for a minor, click the link below.

Apply for Child's Passport

The State Department website states that you can use a "previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport" as evidence of citizenship when applying for a child's passport rather than submit a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

However, it will be your daughter's first passport so she does not possess one that was previously issued. Since your daughter was born in Canada, you should submit a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or a Certificate of Citizenship.

There is a U.S. Consulate in Winnipeg where you can obtain this document. However, both parents must appear with the child.

U.S. Consulate in Winnipeg

How to Apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

If you are unable to apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, you can submit an application for a Certificate of Citizenship for your daughter once she is in the United States.

This is done through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Click the link below for complete details.

Application for Certificate of Citizenship

Once you have either the Consular Report of Birth Abroad or the Certificate of Citizenship, then you can apply for a passport for your daughter.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.