This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Will I receive my certified marriage license back if I send it in for a name change on my passport?

by Melissa
(Havre de Grace, MD USA)

Question: I got married in Antigua and only have one certified marriage certificate.

I need to change my last name and don't want to send my only certified marriage certificate off in the mail for a passport as I am worried that I will not get it back.

Will they return it to me or do you have any suggestions on what I should do? My passport is current and just needs a name change.

I was married in September in Antigua. It has been impossible to receive another certified copy of my marriage certificate from them. I called the passport office to see if I could come in person to get a name change but they said I could not.

Answer: Your marriage certificate will be returned to you. It will be sent separately from the passport so it may arrive on a different day.

You are encouraged to use protective packaging such as a Tyvek envelope. You can send the packet using a traceable delivery method. A list of options is given below.

- USPS Certified Mail
- USPS Registered Mail
- USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation
- USPS Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation
- USPS Express Mail (for overnight delivery requests) traceable delivery method

For a list of requirements, click the link below.

Passport Name Change Requirements

Comments for Will I receive my certified marriage license back if I send it in for a name change on my passport?

Click here to add your own comments

marriage license
by: Anonymous

Question: I received my passport approx. 2 weeks ago but have not received my marriage license. I understand that they arrive separately of one another, but approximately what is the window that I should expect to receive my marriage license.

Answer: Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative.

Marriage License was not returned
by: Anonymous

Question: Sent my marriage license to change my name and did NOT receive my documents back, 11/10/16. Called number listed here- 877-487-2778; only to be told no one was available to take my call. Then the recording said Goodbye.

Answer: Today is a federal holiday. Passport Services is closed. Supporting documents are sent separately from new passports. Your marriage certificate should arrive soon.

how long to wait
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello! I received my passport about January 3rd, but haven't received any of my submitted documents including my marriage certificate. What is the wait to receive these? Thanks!

Answer: You probably should have received them already. Please call 1877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.