This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

What is the fee to change your name on your passport?

Question: I have a valid passport that was issued a few years ago. It has my maiden name on it. I have filled out the DS-82 form, gotten 2 passport photos taken, and attached my Certificate of Marriage. What is the fee for this service? Would I add an additional $60 to that total to get it expedited? Thank you for your help!

Answer: The fee to renew a passport by mail using Form DS-82 is currently $110 for a passport book only. You can request a passport card at the same time for an additional $30.

Expedited service fee is $60. This reduces the processing time from 4-6 weeks to 2-3 weeks. If you choose this service, be sure to write the word "expedite" on the outside of the envelope so that agents can quickly identify your request.

For faster service, you either have to visit a regional agency or get a professional passport expediting service to submit the application for you.

Comments for What is the fee to change your name on your passport?

Click here to add your own comments

About to be married
by: Anonymous

Question: I will be married in June this year, but am still finishing studies abroad. I would like to change my last name when I marry but do not have the time to wait for a new passport to come in before I leave the country and my return flight is currently under my maiden name. Can I change my name from overseas? Should I continue to go by my maiden name until my studies are over? How long do I have to make an official name change request after I am married?

Answer: You may continue to use the passport in your maiden name until you're done with your studies overseas. Or you can wait until you're back overseas before changing your name. In fact, this is the most uncomplicated way to go since your ticket is also booked in your maiden name.

If you choose to change the name on your passport overseas, you may do so at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, whichever is closest to where you reside.

by: Anonymous

Question: I recently got divorced and need to change my last name on my passport since it still has my ex husband's last name on it. How can I do that?

Answer: The answers depends on when your passport was issued.

Passport Issued Less Than 12 Month Ago - Mail a completed form DS-5504, previously-issued passport, recent passport photo and original or certified copy of your divorce decree to the address on the form.

Passport Issued More Than 12 Months Ago - Mail a completed form DS-82, previously-issued passport, recent passport photo, original or certified copy of divorce decree and payment for fees to the address on the form.

Changed name after married
by: Anonymous

Question: I am renewing my expired passport. I have since changed my last name to add my husband's. What certified document do I need to submit if I changed name after marriage in a different state (NM) than I got married (AZ)? (I see the comment that says we write the place of marriage in the box but I need clarity on the document to be submitted)

Answer: Please submit the original or a certified copy of your marriage certificate. The place and date of the name change should be those listed on your marriage certificate that you are submitting as evidence of a name change. For more information, call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative.

Name change after marriage
by: Anonymousa

Question: We are planning a trip out of the country in two weeks. I just realized my name on my passport has not changed. I still have my drivers license with my maiden name. My passport says my maiden name. Do I have to Change my passport? Or can I just purchase my ticket and use my maiden name on my flight ticket? I don't think I will have time to change it and recieve a new passport before we leave. If I have to change my name on passport, what is the quickest way for me to do this?

Answer: Passport Services recommends that American citizens travel with passports in their current legal names. Application for a name change should be submitted within six weeks of the name change.

It is possible to get a name change in a passport within two weeks at a regional passport agency. If you do not live near a regional agency or cannot take the time to visit one, you can authorize a registered passport courier to submit the application on your behalf.

Having said that, many women who change their names by marriage choose to continue using their passport in their maiden name until the passport expires. Be aware that we have received messages from women who were delayed due to the name difference but have never heard of anyone being denied boarding. We recommend you contact the airlines concerning this issue.

no name change on passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I`m going abroad the 18th. My passport has my maiden name but I have been married for a year and have not had my married name added to my passport. What will happen?

Answer: TSA'a Secure Flight Program requires the name on your ticket match the name in your passport. If it does not and you are unable to change it, you may need to change the name in your passport before you travel. Please contact the airlines for confirmation.

You can get the name in your passport changed within 5 business days at a regional passport agency.

name change location
by: Julie Mahony

Question: On form DS-82, item 11, it asks for place of name change. I was married in Vancouver BC (I'm American, married to a Canadian) but we reside in San Francisco, CA, where I applied for my new married name on SS card and Drivers License. What is the correct PLACE of name change: Vancouver BC or SF, CA? Thanks!

Answer: The place of name change is the location where your marriage certificate was registered.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.