This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Should I renew my passport or get a new one?

by Philip
(Norfolk, Va.)

Question: My last passport I think was approximately 10 years ago. I am in the military and am due to deploy soon to the Middle East. Was told by command to have one in case I needed to get sent back state side. Is there another service for people in the military?

Answer: First of all, you should have two passports. One passport is a no-fee passport issued to military personnel that can only be used in discharge of your official duties. The second is a regular-fee tourist passport that you can use for personal travel. Your military passport cannot be used for this purpose.

While you are not required to obtain a tourist passport, it is highly recommended. We receive letters from military personnel frequently seeking assistance to obtain tourist passports while deployed in order to travel on leave. Getting tourist passports in such situations can be quite difficult if not impossible, depending on the location.

According to the State Department, military personnel should contact their Installation Travel Office concerning passport issues.

For instructions on obtaining a regular-fee tourist passport, click the link below.

Apply for a New Passport

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Should I renew my expired passport or apply for a new one?

by Thomas
(Auburn, Al, USA)

Question: My expired passport has this typed on the last page "this passport expires on Oct 23 2008. Replacement may be issued under 22 CFR 51.41." Maybe this can help the process.

Answer: You can renew your passport by mail if you meet all the criteria. These include:

* Your most recent passport is not damaged and you can submit it with the application.

* Your passport was issued when you were age 16 or older.

* The expired passport was issued in your current name or you can legally document the name change.

If you meet all these criteria, then you can renew the expired passport by mail.

Besides the usual requirements, the endorsement at the end of your expired passport also requires you to submit proof of citizenship. Any one of the following service this purpose.

* a U.S. birth certificate; or
* a U.S. naturalization certificate; or
* a U.S. certificate of citizenship; or
* a U.S. consular report of birth abroad; or

Together with the proof of citizenship, you need to send the completed application form DS-82, two passport photos and payment for the fee to the address on the application.

Regular processing takes 4-6 weeks. Expedites service takes 2-3 weeks. If you need to renew your passport faster, you can either visit the New Orleans Passport Agency or authorize a private passport expediting service to do it for you.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.