This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Passport Renewal for 19 Year Old with Previous Passport Issued When a Minor

by Debra
(New York, NY USA)

My daughter's now expired passport was issued in 2006 when she was 14. She is now 19 and requires a new passport. Your website says that passport renewal by mail is not available if the previous passport was issued when the citizen was a minor. Does this rule apply even though she is 19 years old now?

Also, there are no options on the Passport Scheduling Phone line that seem to fit needing to "renew a passport in person because it is not allowed to be renewal by mail AND No, we are not traveling within 2 weeks."

Question: 1. Can a 19-year old renew her passport by mail if her previous one was issued when she was 14?

Answer: No, she must appear in person at an application acceptance facility or a regional agency if she needs her passport quickly.

Question: 2. If the 19-year old must appear in person to renew, must she also be accompanied by a parent (one parent with a notarized letter indicating it is acceptable to the second parent that she is renewing her passport)?

Answer: No, she does not need to be accompanied by a parent. Only minors ages 17 or younger must appear with parents.

Question: 3. If the 19-year old must appear in person, which Passport phone line option should be selected to get the appointment (she is not traveling within 2 weeks)?

Answer: If your daughter is not traveling within 2 weeks, she does not need to apply at the regional passport agency and, therefore, does not need to schedule an appointment through the toll-free number.

She can submit the application Form DS-11 and all supporting documents at a nearby passport office. Each office has its own telephone number. Click the links below for more information.

New Passport Requirements

New York Passport Offices

Routine processing is estimated to take up to 5 weeks. Your daughter can request expedited service in order to obtain her passport in up to 3 weeks. There is an extra fee for this service and she will need to include a copy of her itinerary.

Comments for Passport Renewal for 19 Year Old with Previous Passport Issued When a Minor

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

Question: If I already had a passport when I was under 18 and I am wanting to renew it now, do I have to have all requirements again or do I just present my old passport?

Answer: You must apply in person for a new passport at an application acceptance facility and submit all required documents. If your passport was issued in 2007 or later, it can be submitted as evidence of U.S. citizenship. If it was issued prior to 2007, you must submit your original or a certified copy of your birth certificate. You will find a complete list of requirements here.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.