This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Passport for child born in the United States but raised abroad

The mother of the child gave birth here in the U.S. and shortly thereafter the child went back to Mexico. Apparently, there is no clarity as to the procedure and/or process by which a passport can be issued to a "minor living with an authorized guardian, in another country".

I am trying to help a friend but I don't even know which direction to point her to.
Thank you in advance.

Question: Which country issues the passport?

Answer: The passport(s) is/are issued by the country or countries of which the child is a citizen. Since the child was born in the United States, he or she should be able to obtain a U.S. passport as long as evidence of U.S. citizenship is provided. The application for an American passport can be submitted at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico.

Since the child was born to Mexican citizens, he or she should also be able to obtain a Mexican passport. This can be obtained through the official issuing agency of Mexico.

Question: What forms need to be filled out?

Answer: The application form for a new U.S. passport is Form DS-11. This can be completed at the embassy or consulate.

Question: Which documents need to be provided?

Besides the application form, supporting documents include evidence of U.S. citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, an identification document and a recent passport photo.

Since the child's parents are in the United States and the child will be applying in Mexico, the parents need to provide the adult who takes the child to apply with notarized consent to apply and copies of valid photo identification documents.

U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Mexico

Comments for Passport for child born in the United States but raised abroad

Click here to add your own comments

Renewing passport for child born abroad but raised in US
by: Anonymous

Question: How do you renew a minor's passport who was born abroad with US citizenship and no birth certificate?

Answer: A previously-issued U.S. passport can be submitted as evidence of U.S. citizenship. For a list of other requirements, click here.

US citizenship
by: Anonymous

Question: I was born in the United States and my mother passed away in a tragic accident when I was 2 months old.My mothers body was taken to Mexico where she was born and I was taken with her. My aunt and uncle took care of me since I was 2 years old and registered me as their daughter in Mexico. They did it so I could attend school in Mexico. When I was 3 years old, my aunt and uncle decided to come to the United States to give me a better future. My uncle and aunt have raised me my whole life and I am wondering if I am able to fix my parents paper so they can be legally in the United States.

Answer: Please contact United States Citizenship and Immigration Services about the process of obtaining U.S. citizenship.

by: Herman

Question: I was born in El Paso Texas but my parents lived in Mexico at the time (Juarez). I was raised in Mexico for 13 years then we moved to El Paso. Now I'm 25 and applied for my passport( never saw the need for one) my application was declined due tho the fact that the midwife was found guilty of some weird stuff. Therefore everyone that was born in that house is submitted to additional investigation for me to prove that I was born in the US. But I don't have anything I was raised in Mexico and have no prove that I was born in the USA other than my Social security card and my birth certificate. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Answer: If your birth certificate meets the following requirements, it should be sufficient evidence of U.S. citizenship.

* Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
* Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
* Lists your parent(s)' full names
* Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
* Has the registrar's signature
* Has the seal of the issuing authority

If it does not meet these requirements, then you must submit more than one of the following documents as secondary evidence of U.S. Citizenship.

* Delayed birth certificate (filed more than one year after your birth)
* Letter of No Record
* Early public or private documents
* Form DS-10, Birth Affidavit

Born in the US and raised in Saudi Arabia
by: Fatimah

Question: Hello, I was born in Texas before about 30 years. However, I raised for about 30 years in Saudi Arabia. Can I still get an American Passport? I looked up for our nearest embassy they say that I need a birth certificate which is I lost years ago,but I still have a certification of vital records. Also, they saw that I must have a social security number, and will deny if I don't have one, but as I said I raised in Saudi Arabia how can I get a social security number.

Answer: Please contact to order a certified copy of your birth certificate online. You can apply for a social security number at the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh.

Sister want to come visit from Mexico
by: Anonymous

Question: My 12-year-old half-sister wants to come visit me and my other sister for the first time. She's never had a visa. I don't know where to start or what visa she should apply for. Which would be best?

Answer: For information about U.S. visas, click here.

American brother living in Mexico
by: Anonymous

Question: My half-brother is 19-years-old. He was taken to Mexico by his parents when he was young, maybe like 3-years-old. He wants to move to the US but he doesn't know where to start. I don't know what he needs to be able to come live over here. Me and my sister are both Americans living in the US. What can he do?

Answer: All U.S. citizens have the right to obtain a United States passport. In order to get a passport, he needs to schedule an appointment at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general.

He needs to submit a completed Form DS-11, an original or certified copy of his birth certificate, a valid photo ID, photocopy of his identification document, a recent passport photo and payment for fees.

Can my mom move back to the USA
by: Anonymous

Question: My mom and dad are from Mexico. They moved to the USA. I'm a US citizen. I'm 12. We moved back to Mexico 5 years ago. My mom wants to go back to the USA to live. Can she? Since I was born in the USA and my mom in Mexico, can she move back to the USA?

Answer: Please contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for answer to questions about immigrating to the United States.

Child born in US with a U.S. Passport, traveling from Mexico to unaccompanied.
by: Anonymous

Question: Can a U.S. citizen minor that lives in Mexico present a notarized letter of consent of each parents to travel and stay with a relative while visiting the U.S. The parents are divorced and live in different states. The minor lives with his mother. Thank you for your quick response.

Answer: Yes, the minor can travel to the U.S. with a letter of consent from the parents. Please contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general for information about consent forms and notary services.

What documents do I need
by: Anonymous

Question: My cousin is 19 and was born in the USA. Her parents took her to Mexico at atge 7. She wants to know what she can do to come over here but doesn't have any type of ID from Mexico or USA other than her pictures from school and birth certificate.

Answer: Your cousin can apply for a U.S. passport at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general. She must submit a completed Form DS-11, evidence of U.S. citizenship, proof of ID, one passport photo and payment for fees. She can contact the embassy or consulate for more information.

by: Anonymous

Question: My brother and sister were born in the U.S. but my brought them to Mexico. They have SSNs. Now they are past 18 years of age. Can they get a passport to return from Mexico?

Answer: U.S. citizenship is automatically granted to any person born in the United States. Your brother and sister should apply for passports at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Living in Mexico and trying to get a US passport
by: Anonymous

Question: My child was born in the US but I brought him to live in Mexico for 5 years. The only problem is he doesn't have a Social Security card because an uncle returned it. Now I'm struggling to get his SSN. They told me that getting a passport and information I could get his number. Can I get my son a U.S. passport without a SSN? Can it help him to get his SSN? I'm a US citizen, too. Thank you for your response.

Answer: Please contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. They can assist you in obtaining a passport and Social Security card for your son. For more information, visit the website of the Embassy of Mexico.

Travel to Mexico
by: Anonymous

Question: Both my parents are in Mexico. I don't have a passport to go visit for the summer. I'm 15 and plan to go by plane with no guardian. i have my school ID and birth certificate. I was born and raised in the United States. Can I still go to Mexico with no passport and no guardian?

Answer: A valid passport is required for you to travel to Mexico by air. You should schedule an appointment at an application acceptance facility and appear with an adult. You will need to submit the following:

* Completed, unsigned Form DS-11
* Original or certified copy of birth certificate
* One passport photo
* Notarized consent to apply from each parent
* Photocopy of each parent's identification document

Your parents can complete Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent and have it notarized at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City or one of the consulate generals.

Passport for child born in the United States but raised abroad
by: Anonymous

Question: Child was born in United States but lives in the Philippines since 1yr old. Now I want to take the child here in United States, I want to apply for a passport for the child, What do I need to apply? and if I can't find the father to sign the consent form, what do I need to do? Does the guardian in the Philippines needs some kind of consent letter or form for me to sign? If the consulate needs an evidence of guardianship, what kind? If no court ruling and just agreed upon two parent at the time the child was brought to the Philippines, now that the father of the child has no known address, what type of information, forms, consent do I need to fill out.

Question: The child whould appear in person at the U.S. Embassy in Manila with an adult. The adult should submit a completed Form DS-11 and all required documents to get a minor's passport.

This person also needs to submit notarized consent from both parents and a copy of each parent's identification document.

When one parent is absent and cannot be located, the applying parent can submit Form DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances.

The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent's or guardian's unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent. The applying parent also may be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document his/her claim of exigent or special circumstance.

For more information, please contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila here.

Minor child traveling from Manila to US to live
by: Anonymous

Question: The minor child already has a US passport. I am asking if that is all he needs to travel to US to live with his Father? The Mother is on drugs and had abandoned the child. She wrote and had notarized a letter of surrender letting her child live in the US with his Father. My question is not about a US passport. The child has this already. Does he need a Filipino passport also? He was born and raised in Philippines. His father is a US citizen who lives in Florida. Thanks.

Answer: In order for the child to travel to the United States, he will need a valid U.S. passport and notarized consent from his mother to travel.

Since he is also a Filipino citizen, he may also require a travel clearance from the Philippines' Department of Social Welfare and Development.

You should also check the airline's regulations concerning the travel of minors on international flights.

Child in Phillipines traveling to US to live
by: Anonymous

Question: My boyfriend's son was born and raised in the Phillipines. The mother has abandoned him and is on drugs. His Father is a US citizen. Always has been and has always lived in the US. Does this 12 year old child need a Phillipine passport and a US passport to fly to the US to live with his Father? Does he need clearance or not? We don't want to buy the plane ticket until we have all documents.

Answer: The minor has rights to both U.S. and Filipino citizenships by birth. All U.S. citizens must enter the United States with a U.S. passport.

To get a U.S. passport, the child will need evidence of U.S. citizenship. Since he was born abroad and is under age 18, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad should be obtain from the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Only the child's biological parent or legal guardian, preferably the U.S. citizen parent, can apply for a CRBA. Once he has this document, he can apply for a U.S. passport.

Both parents must appear to apply for a minor child's passport. If only one parent appears, then the applying parent must submit evidence of sole legal custody or notarized consent from the non-applying parent.

We recommend the minor also obtain his Filipino passport.

Unless the father has been awarded sole legal custody, the minor will probably require notarized consent from the mother or legal guardian to travel.

For more information, please contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Raised abroad but request the passport like living in the USA
by: Anonymous

Question: In a conversation with a parent that lives in Mexico, tells me that he requested the passport for her daughter, but he made all process like if he living in the USA, he put an address of a family, so the document can be mailed, with this he doesn't go to the US consulate in Mexico. what kind of future issues could this cause or is eligible for a fine. thanks for your response.

Answer: If the application was sent to the United States from outside the U.S., the passport will not be issued. The parent can take the daughter to the U.S. consulate to submit another application.

What do I do to bring my daughters back from Mexico?
by: Anonymous

Question: My two daughter's have been in Mexico for 6 years with there grandmother. When we went there we drove and they didn't need a passport. Now I want to bring them back and don't know how to go about it. I went to the post office and got the applications and I have their passport pitcures because I was just there visiting. I have everything I need saying that they were born here except shot records. How and what do I need to do to get their passports to bring them here.

Answer: If your daughters are age 15 or younger, passports are not required. U.S. citizen children ages 15 and under arriving by land from Mexico may present an original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate. While a passport is not required, it is recommended. You can apply at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general in Mexico. For a list of required documents, click here.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.