How to Renew a German Passport in the U.S.
Unfortunately, you can no longer post your application for German
passport renewal to one of the consulates or to the embassy in the
United States. This is because Germany now makes use of an ePassport
which contains a microchip inserted into one of the passport pages.
This microchip contains all your background information as well as your
biometric data such as your fingerprints, photographs and digital
signature. Because of this, you need to go in to verify your identity
via fingerprints and so on.
Applying at the Nearest German Consulate
While this ePassport has definitely made the
German passport far more credible and less vulnerable to fraud, it has
also made the passport application and passport renewal application
processes a bit more inconvenient. You cannot post application forms
but now have to appear in person and fill out the relevant application
form. The German embassy has attempted to make things easier by
erecting honorary consuls besides the eight already present which have
been equipped with the resources to deal with passport processes. These
are numerous. See a complete list here
. Otherwise, the eight regular consulates are located in:
The German embassy
is located in Washington DC.
Application Form & Supporting Documents
You can choose to download the passport application form
and fill it in at home or you may choose to collect one at the
consulate. It is normally better to fill the form in at home when you
are focused and not rushed. This way you are less likely to make
mistakes or forget your pen! Also, you will have the time to look up
information that you may not have readily available.
Also do not forget to look into the supporting documents that
you need to include. If you forget even just one, you will have to
leave the consulate and return when everything is in order. The
required documents are:
- The fully completed application form
- Two of the same photographs taken recently
- Birth certificate which gives information of where you were born as well as a copy
- Marriage, divorce or death certificate to prove spousal relations
- Current German passport and a copy of the data pages
- Confirmation of deregistration from your German place of residence and a copy
- Valid proof of U.S residency (green card, residency visa or U.S passport)
- Proof of address (driver's license or utility bill)
- Passport fee (approximately 80 euros payable in dollars according to exchange rate on the day)
German Passport Photo Requirements
Ensure that you use the correct photos in your application as if
they do not meet requirements your entire application will be denied.
This is a silly reason to halt the passport process. The German
consulates and embassy have the same regulations as most and will
include factors such as:
- A clear professional photo
- Recently taken within a few months
- A pale background with no shadows or objects
- Nothing covering the face at all
- Headwear only permitted for religious reasons
- A neutral expression and closed mouth
- Applicant must face the camera head on with eyes facing in the direction of the camera
- No old, scratched or damaged photos will be used.
Should you follow these directions to the tee, there is little
chance that you will have problems renewing your German passport in the
U.S. If you have any queries, contact your nearest consulate.
Expedite Your Passport Now!
Click to Call for Expedited Service!