This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

How do I renew a child's passport?

by Tannia
(Dallas, TX , USA)

Question: My 7-year-old son's passport expired. He is disabled and it's difficult to take photos of him which I know are required for his new passport.

Answer: Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed by mail. The child must appear at a passport application acceptance facility with both parents. If one parent cannot appear, the applying parent must either provide notarized consent from the non-applying parent or evidence of sole legal custody.

One recent passport photo is required. The State Department is strict concerning passport photos and many applications are delayed due to the submission of unacceptable photos. For this reason, we usually recommend that photos be taken at a location with experience in taking passport photos.

Since you did not explain your son's disability in detail, I do not know how difficult this might be. You may try making the passport photos yourself at home. Following is a link to a website that provides passport photos from pictures taken at home.

For a complete list of requirements, click the link below.

Apply for a Child's Passport

For a list of passport application acceptance facilities in Dallas, click the link below.

Dallas Passport Offices

Comments for How do I renew a child's passport?

Click here to add your own comments

My passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I have my passport from when I was 7 years old. It is in perfect condition but of course my photo is when I was a child and I was a minor at the time. Can this passport be renewed now that I am an adult or do I need to apply for a new passport as an adult?

Answer: You need to apply in person for a new passport at an application acceptance facility. Click the links below for more information.

New Passport Requirements

Application Acceptance Facility Locations

Renew passport
by: Siham

Question: My 13-year-old son's passport expired and I want to renew it for him because we plan to travel overseas. Do I have to bring my son with me or is it not necessary? Please respond me soon as possible.

Answer: Your son must apply in person for a new passport. He must be accompanied by both parents. For more information, click here.

how to travel to the United States from mexico having passport expired
by: Anonymous

Question: My nephews are in Mexico and they are US Citizens. Their passports are expired and their mom is illegal. She wants to bring them back. How can she renew the passports?

Answer: Your nephews should can apply for new passports at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general. Both parents are required to appear with minors. If parents cannot appear, then a third parent can appear with the minors and submit notarized consent from the parents to apply for the parents. For more information, contact the U.S. embassy or consulate general in Mexico.

Edwin Francis
by: Anonymous

To be frank I was pretty much impressed by the kind of information that is available in this web site. I was trying to get my 15 year old daughter a passport and I was not sure of the formalities involved in the same. This web site really helped me out.

Renewing a minor's passport
by: Anonymous

Question: My son is 5 years old, and I'm renewing his application. Should I write my name for the applicant's name?

Answer: You write your son's name on the application form.

when should I renew a passport for my child?
by: Anonymous

Question: When should I renew a passport for my child?

Answer: The expiration date can be found on the information page (inside cover). Depending on your travel plans, you may need to initiate the application process 3-9 months prior to the expiration date. You need to take into consideration the entry requirements for any country you plan to visit. Many countries require 3-6 months validity remaining in a passport before they will allow a visitor to enter. Add to that the 4-6 weeks for routine processing of the passport application.

both parents overseas
by: Anonymous

Both my husband and I are overseas. Can my mother renew my sons passport without us being present?


Your mother can appear with your sons at a passport application acceptance facility and submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents authorizing her to apply for the passports. She also needs to submit the appropriate application form and supporting documents for obtaining passport for minors.

renewal of minor passport
by: priscila

Do I need my son's birth certificate to renewal his passport? He is only 7 years old.


Yes, you must present the original or a certified copy of your son's birth certificate in order to get a new passport for him.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.