This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

How do I get my original passport and supporting documentation back?

by Michelle
(San Francisco, CA)

Question: I recently applied for and received a new passport due to a marital name change, however I only received my new passport, and I would like to receive my original passport back for record keeping purposes as well as my original copy of my marriage certificate. How can I obtain this back?

Answer: Your original passport and marriage certificate should arrive soon. These documents are usually sent separately from the new passport. If they do not arrive after a couple of weeks, please contact the National Passport Information Center by calling 1-877-487-2778 toll free.

Automated Passport Information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can speak with a representative Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., EST, excluding federal holidays.

Comments for How do I get my original passport and supporting documentation back?

Click here to add your own comments

Birth certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: I never did get my original birth certificate back. Since it was the first time getting a passport (2005), I just thought that was how it was done. I had to scramble to get a copy, which was a pain and it doesn't include all the original information. Now that I'm renewing, I want to see about getting my original back. Sure hope they still have it on file.

Answer: If you still have your passport and it is in good condition, you may apply for a renewal by mail. You do not need your birth certificate to do this.

Passport services keeps records of passports. However, these records can only be used as evidence of U.S. citizenship for passport application purposes. They do not keep birth certificates on file; they are sent back to the applicants once the process is completed. Documentary requirements are generally sent separately from the passport. Your birth certificate may have been lost in transit. You may call 1-877-487-2778 to speak to a customer representative.

Original (?) Passport returned, bizarre packaging
by: Marena

Question: My son's birth certificate was sent back to me, but the packaging seems suspicious. The BC was enclosed in a manilla envelope but in order to open the BC, I had to fold and tear the perforated edges of the actual document. This is clearly not as I sent it. Is this normal to be resealed like this?

Answer: Please call 1-877-487-2778 to discuss this issue with a customer service representative.

They said my birth certificate was not original?
by: Anonymous

Question: I recently applied for a passport, but was sent a letter stating that the birth certificate I sent was not the original. But it was the exact birth certificate that my mother got from the hospital after I was born. What do I do, or who do I contact about this? Thanks.

Answer: If you want to talk to someone in Passport Service, call 1-877-487-2778. If you want to get a certified copy of your birth certificate, contact the vital records office of the state in which you were born.

need certificate of naturalization back asap!
by: Anonymous

Question: My application for passport was denied because of an unpaid balance at child support services. I cant pay the full amount at this time and would like to cancel my aplication. I need my certificate of naturalization as soon as possible for proof of citizenship at the Department of Motor Vehicles. How soon can I get my certificate back?

Answer: Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative.

Need my Citizenship Certificate back HELP!
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi! I applied for the passport and sent my Citizenship Certificate with it. I now need it back ASAP. is it possible to request for it back? I am willing to pay extra to expedite it or expedite the process.

Answer: Your supporting documents will be mailed to you after your application has been processed. Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative about the possibility of expediting your passport application.

Passport card
by: Anonymous23

Question: Ok. So if I needed my passport card back how could I get that back? And how long would it take? Cause I'm traveling soon and just found out I needed the card only not the passport book? Is there an expedited service to get that back? Thx

Answer: If you sent your passport card with form DS-82 in order to get a passport book, the card will only be returned after the book is issued. Routine service is taking approximately 6 weeks. Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative about the possiblity of expediting your application.

Application status
by: Anonymous23

Question: My application status online says I will be receiving a letter in the mail with information about my application status. What could this possibly mean? I've called the number to ask and they tell me theirs shows it's still being processed ? Any help!!

Answer: Since we do not have access to this information, we cannot say for sure. Possibilities include a request for additional citizenship and/or identification documents, unapproved passport photo, denial due to child support arrears or something else.

I need my original passport back!
by: Anonymous

Question: I had to have a change of information on my passport. I did receive my new passport. A few days later I receive the supporting documentation that was required to issue me a new passport which came via mail on 6/22/16. Now it's the 25th of July and my original has not been returned. I contacted the passport info center and gave them all the information 2 weeks ago but haven't heard anything. Is it lost for good? Is there anything I can do? I need my stamps to show proof I had residency in another country.

Answer: We recommend you contact NPIC again by calling 1-877-487-2778. If they cannot provide you with the information you need, we recommend contacting the post office to see if they can assist you.

Never sent back my documents
by: Kat

Question: I sent my child's documents in for her passport, we had a family death internationally with all that was going on I totally forgot that I sent my original papers to the office. 5 years later I am applying for my newborn and realized that the office never sent back my documents. This whole time I was blaming my children's father for misplacing them when it was the OFFICE this whole time... I am upset.... and I want my documents back, we should be able to send copies or scan the documents at a local office if you guys can not return our stuff.

Answer: Supporting documents are mailed back to applicants. If you never received them, it may be that they were lost in the mail. Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative. We also recommend you contact your local post office. If you need to replace the document, you can obtain certified copies through the vital records office of the state where the event occurred.

Original Documents
by: Anonymous

Question: If passport is denied because of child supporta arrears, are the original documents kept until issue is fixed or are they sent back separately?

Answer: Documents are returned 90 days after application submission so that the applicant has time to make resolution. For more information, call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative.

original birth certificates not returned
by: Anonymous

Question: Received new passport and old passport for my kids in two mailings but have not received the original birth certificate for either of them.

Answer: The birth certificates should arrive soon. If they do not arrive within 10 business days, call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative.

by: Sara

Question: I got my sons and myself passports in January 2015 but I didn't receive any documents. Please send all the documents. I see that I am not the only person that I have not received it.

Answer: Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative.

Original documents not received! HELP
by: Lupe

Question: Hello, I have received my new u.s passport but did not receive the original documents that I submitted with the application. Will I get those back if so when and how long will it take?

Answer: Your supporting documents should arrive soon.

Is it possible to request the documents back
by: Anonymous

Question: I need the birth certificate back and it may be still some weeks before the passport is issued. Its been 4 weeks since we applied. Is there a way to request to get the documents back quickly?

Answer: The document cannot be returned until your application is processed and the new passport sent. If you call to request your birth certificate, the application may be canceled.

In order to accelerate the process, you can call 1-877-487-2778 to request for your application to be expedited. There is a $60 fee for this service.

Birth Certificate and Expedited Service Fee
by: Adavid

Question: I'd like my birth certificate back along with the money I paid for expedited service. I'd like it back asap!? Please.

Answer: Birth certificates are returned after the application has been processed and the passport either issued or denied. The document may be sent separately from the passport so it can arrive on a different day.

If you applied directly, please see how to get a refund for expedited passport service.

If you applied through an expedited passport courier service, then you need to contact the company through which you applied.

by: jack

Question: I can stay there for this summer. Not only me my family is also coming with me. I need to know whether I could get a passport to US if I am from Pakistan. It is very difficult to get that I know but as a tourist how long.

Answer: U.S. passport are only issued to U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals. In order to visit the United States, you need to have a valid Pakistani passport and the proper U.S. visa.

Original Documents have not yet been received
by: Claire

I have applied for an US passport. I have received the passport successfully, nevertheless, I have not received the original documents I sent out along with the passports forms.

I have phoned the National 877 number and they advised me to wait for a week.

I don't think it's a good and wise idea for the state gov. to keep and mail back such sensitive materials with all of my personal information on it.

Copies of true documents should be accepted.



Certified copies are accepted. If you do not feel comfortable sending original documents, you can apply for certified copies and send those.


Birth Certificate
by: Tracy

I too have received my passport but have not received my original birth certificate back it has been since Oct. What do I need to do to get this documentation back since I am traveling in April.


Please contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or send an email to

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Supporting Documents for Passports FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.