This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Does a 17 year old need both natural parents consent to be issued a passport?

Question: My 17-year-old has not seen his biological father in 14 years.

Answer: While the U.S. Department of State requires applicants ages 16 and 17 to establish parental consent, their website states, "You may be requested to provide written parental consent for a child age 16 or 17 if it is not implied on the application." However, it does not state how one might imply consent on the application form. We have been told that consent is implied if the minor pays the fees with a parent's check. There is inconsistency with how such cases are treated. In most cases, a 17-year-old can apply without the presence of a parent.

Comments for Does a 17 year old need both natural parents consent to be issued a passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Do I need proof of legal custody?
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi. I am a US citizen applying for passport for my 17-year-old daughter. They sent me a letter stating I need to get proof of legal custody. She's been living with me here in the US and her father lives in the Philippines. What do I do?

Answer: Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative about acceptable documents you can submit to prove legal custody of your daughter.

Requirements for 17-year-olds
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi. I'm 17 years old and my mom has half custody and I'm trying to get my passport. Do I need to have to get my dad's permission to get my passport?

Answer: Minors ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves. However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the minor to identify him/her and to show parental awareness.

passport for 17-year-old
by: Anonymous

Question: I have two kids my son 17 and my daughter 17. I'm a citizen of the USA. I want to get USA passports for my kids. Do I need permission for my 17-year-old son from his father? He is in Peru. What do I do? What about my daughter: They have lived with me for 11 years. Thank you.

Answer: Children ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves. However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the child to identify him/her and to show parental awareness. Since both your children are age 17, the father's consent is not required.

Travel without Parental Consent
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello, my father has full custody of me and I don't visit my biological mother. Now I'm 17 and I want to go overseas with my grandfather. Do I have to have permission or written consent from my mother to travel even though I don't have any contact with her whatsoever?

Answer: At 17, you can apply for a passport without your parents. Most airlines allow you to fly alone at that age. Some countries require minors under age 18 carry a parental consent form. Please contact the embassy of the country you plan to visit for details about traveling as a minor.

Quick Question
by: Anonymous

Question: I am currently 17 yrs old, I live with my mother. Do I need a letter of consent to travel with a friend to Mexico for winter break?

Answer: The U.S. Embassy in Mexico recommends all minors traveling without both parents carry a notarized consent letter at all times in the event airline or Mexican immigration officials request one.

B2 us visa application for a 17-year old
by: Zie

Question: Hello, I'm 17 years old and i'm an African studying in the Caribbean. I need a B2 visa to go to the us for my vacation in December. What do I need to have high chances of getting the visa. Do I need a letter of consent from both parents?

Thanks for your support...looking forward to getting your reply :)

Answer: You will find all the information you need about visit the United States here.

Passport ASAP
by: Ashley

Question: I am 16 years old. My grandmother recently passed away. I need to go to Mexico but need a passport. I'm a US citizen. Do I need my father's signiture because I live with my mother. I need a answer ASAP.

Answer: Usually, the consent of one parent is sufficient for an applicant age 16 or 17. There are three ways to establish consent. It can be implied on the application form. A parent can complete the consent form and have it notarized. Finally, you can appear with one parent at the passport office.

Since you need a passort quickly, you will have to expedite the process. Expediting through a passport office can take up to 3 weeks. You can try to schedule an appointment at a regional passport agency but there may not be an opening prior to your trip.

An alternative is to employ the services of a qualified passport expediting courier service like Fastport Passport

passport renewal
by: Anonymous

Question: I'm 17 years old and my American passport expired. Do I need my parents consent for a renewal? I live in Peru. What do I need to do?

Answer: To apply for a new United States passport in Peru, you to visit the American Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy in Lima. Hours are Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 11:30am, except American and Peruvian holidays.

For further instructions, please call the Embassy. Telephone inquiry hours for non-emergency American Citizen Services questions are from 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except U.S. and Peruvian holidays.

Telephone: [011] (51-1) 618-2000.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport for 16 or 17 Year Old FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.